Hello Jeff

I understand that using Portland compiler isn't "advised" by Open Mpi, i
was just wondering if there's a way of doing it, since i need Open Mpi
compiled with PG fortran and not gfortran for example.

The name of the binary is correct: pgf90 the name of the file is also
correct .pgf90.rc i do have some doubts about the content of the file. Is
this enough?

switch -pthread is replace(-lpthread) positional(linker)

If i do a source .pgf90.rc i do get errors:

-bash: ./.pgf90.rc: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('
-bash: ./.pgf90.rc: line 1: `switch -pthread is replace(-lpthread)
positional(linker)'

Besides that i tried what you mentioned: pgf90 -pthread somefile.f90 , and
that gives the expected error:

pgf90 -pthread helloworld.f90
pgf90-Error-Unknown switch: -pthread

My real question is, can i change Open Mpi configuration, to not use
-pthread flag on fortran compiler?