| I have just spent a lot of time trying to get the
| dependency-maven-plugin to excludeScope, or if that won't work - to
| excludeTransitive.  Neither work.  Using a simple <includeScope>
| didn't work either.

Just FYI: I had the same problem with the scope definition in
maven-dependency-plugin.

#

<excludeScope>test</excludeScope>
did not work for me. There was a message saying "it would exclude
everything." Nothing was copied.

#

Nevertheless...
<includeScope>compile</includeScope>
works for me: For example junit is not copied, as it is defined like this:

<dependency>
  <groupId>junit</groupId>
  <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
  <version>3.8.1</version>