On 12/22/06, MikeKey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Forgive a likely newbie question but I've not found anything outside a
hacked
parent pom to get something like this to work.

Is there any way to setup a pre-defined set of dependencies to include in
given pom?  For example, Hibernate requires several jars to be included as
dependencies to a project using it...is there a sane way in maven to
define
a hibernate-dependencies.pom or something like that and include it in my
pom.xml?  To make a reusable set of dependencies?

We do this kind of thing in Shale, to provide a common set of dependencies
for all of the sample apps.  Each individual app's pom mentions "
org.apache.shale:shale-apps-parent"[1] as its parent, and therefore inherits
all the common dependencies.

Another useful approach to this sort of problem is the Maven2 "archetype"
facilities[2], where you can define the initial structure of a new project
(and include the default set of dependencies in the newly created pom.  The
dependencies aren't shared later, but this is a great way to get a kick
start on a new project that needs a starter set of stuff, but then will
evolve on its own.

Thanks for any help.

Craig

[1]