Wayne Fay wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but old projects using old Maven builds will
not be affected by this. So we eliminate those from the discussion.

It's right that's old projects are not affected as long as we assume they have locked down their plugin versions. The change we discuss is bound to a specific plugin version, so updating a source processing plugin (say from maven-compiler 2.0.1 to maven-compiler 2.1) would require to watchout for the encoding change. Projects that didn't lock down their plugins versions are naturally affected by this change just like with any other change to the used plugins.

New projects using the new Maven builds will either use the default
that we are discussing (I voted for b) or declare their own default
with a single <property> in their pom.

That's it. And if people need to have different encodings for different plugins, they still have the freedom to configure the plugins individually, too.

Benjamin