In the two years that I have been using oVirt, I've been yearning for some nice
architecture primer myself, but I have not been able to find a nice "textbook
style" architecture document.

And it does not help that some of the more in-depth information on the oVirt
site, doesn't seem navigatable from the main "Documentation" link.

This is my very personal opinion, others might have different impressions.

oVirt isn't really a product in the sense that all parts were designed to go
together. Instead it's a package that has been assembled from quite a few
rather distinct pieces of technology that Redhat has aquired over the last
decades. What some might view as proof of extreme flexibility, others will see
as lack of integration. The oVirt team is careful not to re-implement anything
on their side, that some other component already delivers. Unfortunately, that
means you better understand those components underneath, their range of
functionality and the tooling around them, because oVirt guys won't explain
what other teams do (e.g. KVM, Gluster, VDO, LVM, Ansible).

KVM originates from Moshe Bar's Qumranet, is the key ingredient of oVirt/RHV
but also leads a somewhat independent life on its own.

Gluster was a separate scale-out storage company that Redhat aquired, which has
been passing through its very own trials and tribulations and suffers from lack
of large scale adoption, especially since scale-out is either cloud or HPC
where Gluster seems to hold little appeal. I think it's stagnating and its
level of integration with oVirt is really minimal, even with the tons of work
developers have done. I consider oVirt's HCI a brilliant value proposition in
theory and a half baked implementation that one certainly should not use "for
the entire enterprise".

VDSM is core to oVirt and the philsophical principle AFIK has remained
unchanged over the last ten years. Its approach also isn't exactly novel (but
solid!), I see parallels not only with vSphere but right back to things like
the Tivoli workload scheduler, a mainframe batch scheduler going back decades.

The working principle is to make a deployment plan (~batch schedule), engrave
that plan into persistent shared storage, so that every worker (host) can
follow this optimal and conflict free plan, while the manager is free to rest
or die or be rebooted. It relieves the manager of having to be clustered for
availability itsself.

VDSM is the agent on every host (or node) responsible for reading and running
that plan and the engine is the manager, which continously creates the new
plans.

Originally the manager ran on a separte physical machine, but then somebody
managed to get that "teleported" into a VM running on the oVirt farm itsself.
It's a very nice feat and mostly just eliminates the need for a separate host
to manage the engine. It also allows for an automatic restart of the management
engine on another host, should the host it ran on fail. But it still needs some
special treatment compared to any other VM. Again this is something VMware and
Oracle also managed to do with their VM orchestration tools, perhaps Nutanix
was the first out of the door with that feature.

Perhaps looking at what the other vendors do, sometimes helps to understand how
oVirt works, because they do copy ideas from each other (and may be shy about
documenting that).

There are architecture presentations out there, which unfortunately mostly
describe the implementation changes made over the years, not the fundamental
design philosophy nor the current implementation state. That's mostly because
the implementation has changed fundamentally and keeps changing rapidly so the
effort to maintain up-to-date docs seems too great. E.g. one of the more recent
key efforts has been to make Ansible do as much work as possible, where the
original implementation seems to have used scripts.

But that should not keep someone from doing a textbook on the architecture
design principles behind oVirt, and perhaps a condensed overview about the
implementation changes over the years and their motivations.

One could argue that while Redhat is an open source company, it's not an open
knowledge company. It doesn't necessarily publish all available internal
documentation and training material they create for their support engineers.
They do want so sell commercial support.

On the other hand there is conference material, there are lots of RHV related
Youtube videos scattered around, so you can find a lot of information, just not
in that tight nice little book you and I seem to wish for.

Unfortunately, I also have not encountered any useful oVirt/RHV architecture
books. The ones I found were very much "do this, do that" and didn't help me as
a technical architect.

If I thought that oVirt had a bright and bullish future, I'd be tempted to
write such a book myself.

With vSphere struggling aginst clouds, I don't see RHV/oVirt doing the right
things to do better in a similar niche, especially when it also tries to sell
OpenShift.

And that goes right back to decisions like rebasing CentOS upstream from RHEL.