On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 7:03 PM Cyril VINH-TUNG <cy...@invitu.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Here's the technique we use :
> - create manually the vm on ovirt with same disks (same size that original
> but you can choose target type, thin provision or preallocated)
> - on any node, force activating the disks to make them writable at the os
> level (lvm, vgchange...)
> - if the disk type is the same on target and destination, you can use dd
> over netcat to copy the disks
> - if the type is not the same, you might use qemu-img convert over netcat

This is very fragile and dangerous, you must really know what you are doing
:-)

If you already imported the disks from the other system, uploading them to
any storage domain
in any wanted (and supported) image format and allocation policy is much
easier and faster
using ovirt-img.

See https://www.ovirt.org/media/ovirt-img-v8.pdf

> If you have physical access to the node, you might use a flat backup
>
> Another workaround is to backup/restore the vm with a backup tool that
> works both with vmware and ovirt... I would say vprotect or vinchin

This should also work, but when importing vms from vmware, it is not enough
to copy the disk data a is,
you want to modify it to remove vmware bits and add the ovirt bits -
virt-v2v does all this for you.

Nir