To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 9:56 AM
Subject: tomcat 6 and setenv.sh?

Folks,

after switching our production environment to tomcat 6.0.13, most of
the things work fine again by now. One thing, however, is still giving
me headaches: By now, I used to have something like

export CATALINA_OPTS="-server -Xmx512m ... "

in CATALINA_HOME/bin/setenv.sh (running Linux), which worked fine with
tc5.5.23. However, by now having settings like these in setenv.sh, I
just end up with this message...

WARNUNG: Dynamic setProperty(className,value) has been disabled, please
use explicit properties for the element you are trying to identify
03.08.2007 09:50:36 org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: Loaded Apache Tomcat Native library 1.1.10. 03.08.2007 09:50:36
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init INFO: APR
capabilities: IPv6 [true], sendfile [true], accept filters [false],
random [true].

HERE IS THE ACTUAL CODE IN SimpleTcpCluster
   public void setProperty(String name, Object value) {
       if (log.isTraceEnabled())
log.trace(sm.getString("SimpleTcpCluster.setProperty", name, value,properties.get(name)));
       properties.put(name, value);
//using a dynamic way of setting properties is nice, but a security risk //if exposed through JMX. This way you can sit and try to guess property names,
       //we will only allow explicit property names
log.warn("Dynamic setProperty("+name+",value) has been disabled, please use explicit properties for the element you are trying to identify");
       if(started) {
// FIXME Hmm, is that correct when some DeltaManagers are direct configured inside Context? // Why we not support it for other elements, like sender, receiver or membership?
           // Must we restart element after change?
//            if (name.startsWith("manager")) {
//                String key = name.substring("manager".length() + 1);
//                String pvalue = value.toString();
// for (Iterator iter = managers.values().iterator(); iter.hasNext();) {
//                    Manager manager = (Manager) iter.next();
// if(manager instanceof DeltaManager && ((ClusterManager) manager).isDefaultMode()) { // IntrospectionUtils.setProperty(manager, key, pvalue );
//                    }
//                }
//            }
       }
   }

... in catalina.out while tomcat refuses to start up correctly. Does
anyone have an idea what the problem is like? Is setenv.sh not
supported that way anymore in tc6.0? Is there a better way to do these
settings?

Environment:
- - Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS
- - JDK 1.6.0-b105
- - tomcat 6.0.13, cluster-configured with two hosts

Thanks in advance for any hints and bye,
Kristian

- -- Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: [EMAIL PROTECTED] * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771