All,

I've checked everything I can think of. Today, my dev instance of Tomcat
started acting funny, saying:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
~        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
~        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
~        at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)

(ultimately coming from)

~        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)
~        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:433)

I've checked the obvious things:

1. Only one copy of servlet-api.jar anywhere (it's in
TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib and has md5 hash of 043724d8aadd4e5c50417dfcef52934b)

2. All configuration files appear to be sane (using copies available in
our cvs repo and verified working by a colleague)

3. No CLASSPATH set anywhere (and adding an echo in catalina.sh confirms
this)

I've rebooted, just in case my system went braindead (it's Linux: it
hadn't, and the error persists).

I've re-installed Tomcat (5.5.26, since you asked), but the installation
directory had no differences after the install than before the install
except for the presence of mysql-connector-whatever.jar.

I deleted my own webapp from the deployment directory and dropped
LambdaProbe's probe.war into my webapps directory, just to check, and
that application seems to deploy with no complaints.

Here is the list of files in my webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory:
antlr-2.7.3-runtime.jar      expreval-1.0a.jar
chadis-tools-1.1.jar         jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar
commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar  jmock-1.0.1.jar
commons-chain-1.1.jar        junit-3.8.1.jar
commons-collections-3.2.jar  log4j-1.2.15.jar
commons-digester-1.8.jar     ppg.jar
commons-lang-2.2.jar         securityfilter-2.0+.jar
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar    struts-core-1.3.8.jar
commons-validator-1.3.1.jar  struts-taglib-1.3.8.jar
dxengine-1.0b.jar            velocity-1.4.jar
engine-1.0a.jar              velocity-tools-1.4.jar

Those you might not recognize are in-house libraries. But, you can see,
there's no servlet-api.jar or anything like that.

The server.xml file I'm using works file with LambdaProbe, so there is
not likely to be an error in there.

I'm totally confused. This install has been working literally for years,
and today it decided to crap out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to check? It's obviously my
own application, but I can't see anything that might be problematic.

Thanks,