From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 5:17 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat started and localhost:8080 is loading

Hi.

At the beginning, you said :

When I start startup.sh, I can load the localhost:8080 page.
But when I start Tomcat from Eclipse, it is able to start but I'm unable to
load the localhost page. Explorer says, "could not connect to
localhost:8080".

That seems to indicate that Tomcat is not listening on port 8080, when you
start it from
Eclipse.  I am not an Eclipse user, but from similar previous posts on this
list, that
seems to indicate that Eclipse is using another set of configuration files for
Tomcat,
than the ones that are used when you start Tomcat from startup.sh.

You did not say on which platform you are running this, but try the following
to confirm :

A)
1) start Tomcat with startup.sh
2) in a command window, enter "netstat -pan" (Linux) or "netstat -aopn"
(Windows), and
look for lines containing the word LISTEN.  You should see a line containing
the port ":8080".
That is Tomcat, and its PID is at the end of the same line.
3) stop Tomcat

B)
1) start Tomcat with Eclipse
2) in a command window, enter "netstat -pan" (Linux) or "netstat -aopn"
(Windows), and
look for lines containing the word LISTEN.  Do you see a line containing the
port ":8080"
?  If not, and you see for instance a line with port ":80" instead, then it
means that
Tomcat is started differently. (And try "http://localhost:80";)
If so, search the archives of this list as to how to correct that issue.