Of course you can startup Tomcat from Eclipse just as well :)

I seem to remember that Jetty is vastly easier to configure from Java source.
I tried this with Jetty 6. Hardly any documentation or complete examples to be found. So I switched back to Jetty 4 for which I had an example from an old wicket-quickstart.

Tomcat at least has a very decent and understandable embedded java interface.

Regards,
   Erik.

Sam Hough wrote:
Still can't see why you can't do "local" debugging with Tomcat. From eclipse
you just start it as an application with main class
"org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap"... I also run Tomcat in OptimizeIt
without any remoting...

I've no agenda about Tomcat. Was just curious about the preference. I seem
to remember that Jetty is vastly easier to configure from Java source.
Presumably it is also still much smaller.

Cheers

Sam

Nino.Martinez wrote:
theres a equallent to mvn jetty:run called mvn tomcat:run...

If devs decided to give up mvn jetty:run then we would loose support for debuging with start.java ... As Matej mentions..

regards Nino