Jörn Zaefferer wrote:
On Feb 20, 2008 3:50 AM, Erik van Oosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jörn Zaefferer wrote:
... The
architecture must support several both dependent and independent
components on a single page which get updated based on server-events,
be it on schedules or events triggered by other users.
Wicket currently support updates through timers on the client side.

Can you point me at a resource that provides some details on that?

http://people.apache.org/~tobrien/wicket/apidocs/org/apache/wicket/ajax/AjaxSelfUpdatingTimerBehavior.html
I've never used it. But I guess you'll just do something like:

Component p  = new MyPanel("mypanelid");
add(p);
p.setOutputMarkupId(true);
p.add(new AjaxSelfUpdatingTimerBehavior(Duration.seconds(2));

The component will now re-render itself every 2 seconds.

 While the exact
number of simultaneous users isn't clear yet, up to 10k must be
possible with the appropriate hardware.

That is quite huge, for any framework. Because of the way Wicket uses
the HTTP session, you are probably best of with a Terracotta cluster.

To that regard: Is there a document that describes Wicket
architecture? It looks like I need a good understand of the session
usage when dealing larger number of users.
Yes, that would be essential (as with any framework).

Important reads:
http://people.apache.org/~tobrien/wicket/apidocs/org/apache/wicket/protocol/http/pagestore/DiskPageStore.html
http://www.nabble.com/DiskPageStore-improvements-for-1.3.1-p14711582.html
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/wicket-inside.html

I did not yet find a link that explains what Wicket puts in the session. But basically (in Wicket 1.3) it is the entire component tree instance of the last page that was rendered to the user (including all model instances, but excluding data in detachable models). Nothing else goes to the session. The page does not go the session when it includes bookmarkable links only (which is very rare). Another use case that is supported is login forms. (For both: look up stateless pages).

Regards,
   Erik.

--
Erik van Oosten