IMHO whether state at the client helps hugely depends on the amount of pages the user works with.

If the user hardly ever leaves that one single page, keeping state on the client will help performance, provided the server does not need to keep a copy of (all) that state. The latter deviates from the main Wicket philosophy as I perceive it, but it is certainly possible in a clean way. (In my current project we do this in a few places *.) If you want to go this way, you'd better have a very Javascript capable person in the team.

If your user is constantly requesting quite different pages, the Wicket model is probably a better match (possibly using stateless pages wherever possible).

Regards,
   Erik.

* Before you ask: we use JQuery to get content from a URL which maps to a stateless Wicket page that serves HTML fragments. For more simple things (e.g. validate an access code) we use a couple of servlets.