Please, no Ruby bashing here (or no bashing whatsoever).

The Ruby world has many more options besides Rails and Merb. Camping, Sinatra, Ramaze, Nitro just to name a few. Its not such a ridiculous long list as in the Java world, but hey, Ruby has not been popular for that long.
Rails should be a good replacement of PHP, nothing more.
I think you severely underestimate both. (When given to the right people of course.)

I hope Java web frameworks never got merged together.
Too late :)  Struts merged with Webworks.

But I agree; choice is good.

   Erik.

HHB wrote:
I hope Java web frameworks never got merged together.
Whenever my Rails dudes points toward how many Java has web frameworks and
considering this as a bad thing, I smile.
I smile because they don't have an option, just Rails.
We (Java guys), have request/action frameworks, component-based frameworks,
Java2JavaScript frameworks, Hybrid framework.
DHH is a jerk, but a smart one.
He tries so hard to convince every body on the planet that his Rails is the
ultimate framework.
Rails should be a good replacement of PHP, nothing more.
The funniest thing when I hear Ruby/Rails guys talking about deploying Rails
applications in the enterprise, What a good joke !!

--
Erik van Oosten