Hi,

We have implemented something similar. In our case multiple applications
should be able to request locks, so we have implemented it on the database.
It's based on DBMS_LOCK (Oracle specific).
When an application crashes (or is killed in an unclean manner) Oracle will
roll back any pending transactions, and automagically release the locks.
Works very well (btw, our applications never crash :-)

Since you have only one application, I guess you could do it in the
application layer (keep locks in memory).

Maarten