With 'output' I meant the servlet request output. But perhaps I misunderstood the question.

I guess the problem is that you close 'inputStream' as soon as the request is finished. The thread that tries to write to it is still active at that moment.

Regards,
   Erik.

Martin Makundi wrote:
Maybe the thread is wrongly written, yes but a servlet CAN read a
FILE. A file is always another PROCESS (which supplies the file
contents, yes, it's the disk driver etc.). So a similar configuration
should be possible between a write operation and an input stream.

Anybody have experience with pipedstreams? There is an article about
it here, but I may have misunderstood the details:
http://ostermiller.org/convert_java_outputstream_inputstream.html

**
Martin