yes, you are on the right track. i just described this to someone in
irc not a few days ago...

override application.newajaxrequesttarget
register your listener
in listener onbeforerespond check if there are any messages -
getsession().getfeedbackmessages().size()>0
visit all components in the page and look for IFeedback and add them
to the target if they have setoutputmarkupid(true) - too late to force
it to true at this point.

-igor