If we can update the model object and changes its value without problem.
Shouldn't we also be able to assign a new model?

 onBeforeRender() {
  this.setDefaultModel(new ReadonlyStaticModel("state1"));
 }

 onAfterRender() {
  this.setDefaultModel(new ReadonlyStaticModel("state2-reset"));
 }

I guess I could use the backing model object as opposed to the model to change
the state.
... Changed to:

 onBeforeRender() {
  getDefaultModel().set("state1"));