When does wicket use the deserialization of pages from the filesystem
disk store/cache?

With the default, out of the box Wicket code, when does Wicket
deserialize a page?

Pseudo-code:
getHomePage() {
  return Page.class

Let's say I am using ajax or ajax tabbed panels and I am not really
instantiate new pages to re-render screens (E.g. with AjaxTabPanel, only
that panel gets rerendered), do panels get deserialized outside page
deserialization? Or is it only a full page?

As far as I can tell, it looks like it only happens when you use the web
browser 'back' button?  But shouldn't it happen when I refresh a page?