After reading the thread on Isis's mailing list, I'm under the impression
that the best solution is to offer an API enabling users to configure how
the disabled text field will be shown. My suggestion is to add the method
TextField.showDisabledAsReadOnly(boolean) and to keep the current
"disabled" attribute as the default presentation of a disabled text field.

Cheers

Pedro Santos