On 12/06/2012 12:04 PM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Why is
>       $xwiki.getURLContent("file:///etc/...")
> not supposed to work? (if you have programming rights).

Because the OP asked for files local to the user's computer, not the
server. file:/// on the server will still point to the server.

The only thing that has access to the client machine is the browser. And
browser makers try really hard to prevent web pages from having access
to the user's disk.

Unless some LDAP tricks are used to link a user to a certain computer,
and the XWiki server can have access to each user machine.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu