Hi,
I have a backend server (with Tomcat). It happens that my backend
server responds with a 503 message when is not available. In these
cases, I want to redirect my visitors to another backend server that
has a static HTML error page. But for some reason, my visitors sees
Varnish default 503 message (Guru Meditation blabla ...) instead
geting a redirect to the static backend. Advice please?

I use Varnish varnish-2.0.3-1.

Here is my VCL file:

backend barren {
        .host = "10.0.0.1";
        .port = "8090";
}

sub vcl_recv{
        if(req.http.host ~ "varnish\.domain\.se$"){
                if(req.restarts == 0){
                        set req.http.host = "varnish.domain.se";
                        set req.backend = barren;
                }else{
                        error 750 "domain.se";
                }