On Apr 11, 2013, at 5:02 PM, Tom Collins wrote:

> Charles,
>
> QmailAdmin will update lastauth (as least the file in the user's directory)
> as well.  I know that on my current system, pop3 and pop3s update the file
> (using qmail's POP server) but IMAP does not (using dovecot).

Interesting.  Most of our users don't know about qmailadmin - they do password
changes and spam settings inside our webmail.

I also just tried logging into qmailadmin with a test account, and still no
lastauth entry.

Odd how random this seems.  I noticed that even the users that have ended up
with lastauth entries are only getting some of their logins updated - for
example, I might see someone with a lastauth timestamp of 4:30, but then see a
dozen or more logins after that in the mail log.

I've enabled more logging in authdaemond (which I assume through the vchkpw
module is where the last auth logging should be taking place), but I don't see
anything particularly odd:

Apr 11 18:08:16 xena pop3d-ssl: Connection, ip=[x.x.x.x]
Apr 11 18:08:16 xena authdaemond: received auth request, service=imap,
authtype=login
Apr 11 18:08:16 xena authdaemond: authvchkpw: trying this module
Apr 11 18:08:16 xena authdaemond: authvchkpw: sysusername=<null>, sysuserid=90,
sysgroupid=90, homedir=/home/vpopmail/domains/bway.net/2/xxxx,
address=x...@bway.net, fullname= 'xxxx', maildir=<null>, quota=<null>,
options=disablewebmail=0,disablepop3=0,disableimap=0
Apr 11 18:08:16 xena authdaemond: password matches successfully

Not having much luck finding a vpopmail changelog that dates back to 5.4.7. :)

Charles

> -Tom
>

> On Apr 11, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>
>> It's been some time since I've had to dig into any vpopmail issues as we
>> have a box that's been "frozen in time" for years.  It's quite the
>> frankenbox at this point and I'll be having to get myself up to speed in the
>> coming months to deal with a move to new hardware, moving to dovecot from
>> courier, and fronting the whole qmail mess with postfix.
>>
>> So I decided to start small and verify I can still rebuild the current
>> vpopmail version we run (5.4.7) in a VM and alter a few options.
>>
>> I opted to enable the "last login" function.  It was turned off long ago to
>> alleviate some db load, but that's no longer an issue for us.  I've rebuilt
>> 5.4.7 with "--enable-auth-logging" but I'm not seeing all logins show up in
>> the "lastauth" table.  We use courier (4.0.6) and authdaemond (0.58) with
>> vpopmail auth enabled.
>>
>> In my testing, I tried a pop3, pop3s, imap, and imaps login and found no
>> errors logged and no logins show up in the lastauth table.  To complicate
>> matters, I do see a handful of users showing up in the table, but I can't
>> find any common criteria here - some of these users are pop, some are imap.
>>
>> I feel like I've probably forgotten some piece of this puzzle, any hints?
>> How can I debug why the logins are not being logged?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Charles

!DSPAM:5167194334141264340400!