Again, it depends on how you plan to use the camera.  If you want to
only use it for videoblogging, you may want to choose a saller/less
expensive camera.  However, if you plan on using it for
projects/short films, the DVX is a great choice.

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Streeter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> This is kind of an issue with me. The DVX 100 has 24p but I find
24p
> to be over rated when it comes to getting a "film" look.

Tell that to George Lucas :)

When people
> talk about getting a "film" look on video they're talking about
> getting a film transfered to video look. The best ways to achieve
this
> is A) to de-interlace which actually reduces your resolution
because
> de-interlacing involves removing or blending in every other
horizontal
> line. And B) to make fine adjustments to the gamma curves in your
> footage. If you know Photoshop or are a Photographer you'll know
what
> I'm talking about. Video tends to have a harsher more evenly
> distributed gamma curve and film tapers more in the light and dark
> parts of your image.

You can adjust the gamma curves in camera w/ the DVX.

> 24p tries to mimic the frame rate of film which is almost
> imperceptible if the footage is kept in a video format. And when
you
> are capturing 24 frames per second you are capturing less
information.

You're shooting in the same frame rate as film.

> than you would capture in 25fps (pal) or 29.97fps (ntsc). I want to
> start with the maximum image information posible and then have the
> choice to throw out stuff later if I want.
>
> One other reason some people think they need to shoot in 24p is
> because they think it helps when they are bumping up to film. It
> doesn't. When video is bumped up to film the process works the
same if
> you shot 24p or 60i. And I don't care what kind of camera you shot
> with or how you shot it, MiniDV footage will never look like you
shot
> on 35mm once you've bumped it up to 35mm.

Agreed, I think the DVX footage looks more like 16mm film.

> There all kinds of conversion issues you have too before you can
even
> edit the stuff as well.
>
> So it all boils down to this: 24p is an unnecessary gimmick that is
> really just a pain in the ass.

Not a big problem if you have a NLE that handles the conversion for
you. Just a matter of clicking on a few buttons.