schlomo rabinowitz wrote:

> [...] tell me what you use/like.  I know I'm going to blow at least
> a couple thousand dollars, so lets play Gear Porn and show me
> something to drool over.

You might be interested in the camera that I use, the Sony HVR-A1U
HDV Camcorder which is around $2,500. If you don't need the XLR audio
inputs and other pro features, the consumer version, the Sony HDR-
HC1, sells for around $1,600.  In terms of image quality the two are
practically identical. I've written about the HVR-A1U on my blog:

The little camcorder that could:
http://kino-eye.com/2006/03/14/a1u/

How does the 'little camcorder that could' compare to its larger
siblings?
http://kino-eye.com/2006/03/22/a1u-fx1-z1u/

The achilles heel of this 1 CMOS chip camera camera is that the low-
light performance is not as good as 3-chip CCD cameras. Have fun
shopping, there is a growing number of HDV camcorders starting to
hover down at the $2,000 price point.

Cheers,

David.

David Tames, Filmmaker & Media Technologist
http://kino-eye.com | 617.216.1096