The reason I asked about forum features is that this 'community' is
currently a discussion list, and a blog/CMS is not a replacement for
the purely conversational aspects. So Im just checking whether you are
proposing that this list be conducted only using bloggy stuff, rather
than as a forum that may be part of a larger system which has blog,
news, group, poll & multimedia features as well, which is what I
originally assumed was being proposed.

You can certainly link to your own blog here without fearing the
spammer label.

Paying bills and all the server tech & development issues are not
problems too large to be overcome with a little concerted effort, the
point I was trying to make is someone still ahs to do it, and we then
become reliant on them rather than yahoo. What happens if they get hit
by a bis, who owns the domain name, etc? In practice these issues may
only cause problems once every few years or never, but as part of your
motivation seems to be escaping yahoo, have to point out that yahoo's
current role is not completely trivial to duplicate, that they have
drawbacks but also some strengths. I dont really find the whole
walmart thing to be a great fit for my feelings on yahoo and the like.

Now despite any reservations I may have as to specifics, I would
wholeheartedly support some sort of move that combined the best of
yahoo groups, forums, blogs, news sites, wiki's, video, audio etc. My
main reservation remains whether enough people are interested in it
and see the need. As I am personally very interested in how much the
net can be used to form communities to do stuff that people are often
inclined to prefer doing in person, I wish I could help change this. I
do not know if its causes are a failure of tools & services in the
past thats puts people off, or people get familiar with what they
know, or people meet in real life and maintain their relationships
more in that way from that point. Or whether people do not actually
have that much time per day to dedicate to online communities, or
whether the most natural way people think of helping is by simple
conversation-like responses rather than organizing knowledge into a
highly structured form.

Id like to use the ourmedia groups as an example of a drupal site
where there is a community gathered at one site on a very broad topic,
but with many subgroups of the users own creation, where interested
members of the community can gather to discuss, blog etc around a
specific topic or theme. But ourmedia has always been too slow for me
to really get into below the surface at all, I just clicked on a group
and it took nearly 20 seconds to lod the page, and that always send me
running in the opposite direction. But regardless of that, has this
use of groups worked at ourmedia, is there a real community there, and
lots of subcommunities, making good use of the features? Did it take
long for people to do this, has it faded or grown, have other services
like blip suceeded? Im sort of guessing that if any of them had fully
suceeded then this list may appear slightly more obsolete than it
actually seems to be.

Cheers

Steve Elbows