In the DRM landscape it works like this.  Apple media => iPod or
AppleTV, MS media => Zune or Xbox, DivXmedia => Sony, Philiphs, JVC,
LG, Pioneer, etc. pick one.   And yes we are in the same space as the
others.  We've been selling content with independent content producers
for 6 years now (http://www.divx.com/company/partner/content.php).
The difference is that we are not courting the studios as we don't
think the change of media begins with them.  We've worked with them in
the past and are open to working with them whenever they are ready to
use DivX to distribute all their content, but we would much champion
the little guy and work with them to distribute their content and
you'll start to see this come out in a big way this year.  I know that
DRM will be in the picture as some want it others hate it etc, but I
hope the conversation can focus on the bigger picture of what
experience the content creator wants to have around their content.  Do
they want the content stuck on a PC, or a limited reach of devices or
do they want the rich experience of high quality video with advanced
features such as menu-ing, subtitles, multiple audio tracks etc and
being able to take this high quality content to where they want to
enjoy it.

Hope that enlightens

Ben…

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
a Sony
> > DVD player, a Philips portable player,  a Pioneer in car receiver, an
> > HP TV, a Samsung phone.  We want to open up the choices that the user
> > has as to where they can enjoy their media.  The DivX history of
> > hardware devices has always been across the board in all sorts of
> > devices, but as you assumed with a large bulk of that in the DVD
> > market.  And also as you guessed, but may not have known, we have
> > future products and technologies
> > (http://www.divx.com/company/partner/connected.php) that allows for
> > your content to seamlessly move from the computer to the television
> > without having to have a computer in the living room.  Notice when I
> > said I watched all this great new content with a couple of button
> > presses on my remote I never mentioned transferring any content to any
> > CD or DVD.
> >
> > As to the DRM question I am firmly with you in your hopes of DRM dying
> > in the future.  But again its about providing tools to those that
> > create the content. There are still those content creators that want
> > their content protected with DRM and thus the tools are available to
> > them.  I’d like to see the independent content creators begin to
buck
> > the trend and sell their content without DRM and show the marketplace
> > what their options really are.
> >
> > For the licensing side of things its very straight forward.  DivX is
> > MPEG4 so the same process of licensing through the patent pool is in
> > place.  But again I’m trying to stress this.  Don’t overlook the
> > forest for the trees.  Your quote of  “everyone that’s using
> mpeg4 or
> > h264 in a standard
> > way” is the problem.  No one is using it in a standard way and thus
> > the reason for the DivX Certified program.  If you see MPEG4 on a
> > device is it simple profile? Advanced simple profile?   Are feature
> > XYZ supported?  It’s about the experience.  We want the process and
> > experience of creating and distributing and playing media to be
> > better; better than it is today.  Questions like those mentioned
don’t
> > make it better for the end user and don’t make it better for the
> > content creator.  I understand your cynicism.  Its hard to see where
> > the future is going and what motivations are leading it.
> >
> > Hope that answers your questions a little further
> >
> > Ben…
> >

> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for your post.
> > >
> > > What does 'open platform' actually mean?
> > >
> > > You talk about people watching content from the web on their TV, and
> > > this is indeed an important development. But theres a lot of
> > > competition in this young area, and much variation in what
> > > technologies are used. You are up against things like Apple TV,
games
> > > consoles like Xbox360 and PS3, mutations of older tech such as
Tivo to
> > > bring it into the net distribution age, on-demand offerings from
cable
> > > TV providers, various peer2peer video distribution services if
they go
> > > looking for hardware to plug the gap between TV and computer, mobile
> > > devices that can hookup to the TV.
> > >
> > > Now I assume much of DivX's history with device certification
was for
> > > DVD players, and hopefuly now includes some mobile devices. As
burning
> > > to pysical media doesnt sound like the best way to watch episodic
> > > video content thats downloaded automatically via RSS of whatever, I
> > > would hope/imagine that the future will include some companies
> > > creating alternatives to the Apple TV, and some of those
companies get
> > > their device DivX certified.
> > >
> > > DRM issues certainly confuse the wider picture. Most of the
complaints
> > > about Apple stuff isnt that the video or audio formats are
> > > non-standard and closed, after all they are using Mpeg4 and
H264, its
> > > the content that is DRM controlld that creates compatibility
woes. Im
> > > one of those people that hopes DRM dies over time, and assuming that
> > > DivX currently has no DRM system, this will be good for DivX as it
> > > removes one thing the competing formats offer that DivX doesnt
> seem to?
> > >
> > > Excuse my highly cynical nature but I see a lot of comapnies
desperate
> > > to prove they are something far more than their core business.
In this
> > >  day and age the word 'community' is connected to the perceived
> > > expectations of investors - so of course you dont want to be a codec
> > > company with the limited potential for growth that this implies, but
> > > rather a huge chunk of the unfolding future web media thang. And at
> > > the moment when few have worked out how to make large returns on
their
> > > web 2.,0 stuff, site viewing figures, how large the 'community' is,
> > > become important benchmarks. Unfortunately for Divx your historical
> > > community of users were using it for grey purposes which you couldnt
> > > shout about, its no secret where DivX brand recognition came
from, and
> > > you've done an amazing job to create a business from those
beginnings.
> > > If useage of DivX on the web for legitimate purposes equalled its
> > > dominance of the early video sharing scene, this conversation would
> > > not need to happen at all, you would undisputedly have a huge amount
> > > of territory in the new race. But as things stand, I feel you
need to
> > > find a way to somehow leapfrog ahead to the next stage, get a
jump on
> > > your competitiors. Because in a straight battle between DivX,
> > > Microsoft, Apple, and everyone thats using mpeg4 or h264 in a
standard
> > > way, its unclear to me how DivX will fare.
> > >
> > > I was out of date and only just discovered that microsoft have
gotten
> > > some standard for their VC-1 video part of .wmv, so other people can
> > > use it in their products more easily. It will be interesting to see
> > > how many 3rd parties decide to take up this opportunity. So this
> > > brings me back to your comment about open platform, and my question
> > > about what it actuall means. If I am doing hardware of software or
> > > content and want to use mpeg4 or h264 or wmv in some way, I can
go get
> > > a license from whoever is looking after the patent pool (eg MPEG LA,
> > > LLC). How does it work with DivX, also bearing in mind you make most
> > > of your revenue through the certification of devices?
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Steve Elbows

> past few

> with and