Liberté, égalité, fraternité.  Whatever.
It's depressing.  Even more depressing that a country as big and rich
and 'free' as France can take such a huge step towards state control
without anybody hearing about it.  You will be all right in the US.
Your current administration would have loved to pass a law like this
if it could have, of course.  But it can't without a massive debate
about the first amendment.  We're not lucky enough in the UK to have
a written constitution, or anything concrete that protects freedom of
speech or of the press.  It's all about public approval and press
power here.  Using 'happy slapping' as justification like the French
did, is a typically cynical and depressingly successful way to bring
the public with you on bad law.  Hopefully, the press here would
fight something like this.  But you never know.  We've had some bad,
bad laws passed here since 9/11 with barely a murmur from the press.
Like it being a criminal offence to express any protest within 1 mile
radius of the houses of parliament, effectively killing
demonstrations and dissent in the center of London.  Many people have
been convicted, just for exercising their democratic right to free
speech.  So, you never know.  Got to use our voices and the internet
if it starts to happen here.  Pity the French didn't do the same.