Maybe they're confused by the example the French are setting (see
other thread).  Perhaps they think that to join the EU one has to
close down User Generated media outlets and imprison citizen
journalists.   Remember the French legal ruling in 2000 to censor Yahoo?

I'm sure it won't last.  A political football, but one worthy of a
lot of protest.  I hope the voters give them hell.

Turkey is, for all the bad press it gets, not a backward country.
It's easy for us to look at it through an orientalist lens.  It has a
fast growing economy and a thriving democratic government that tries
to achieve a separation of (Islamic) church and state.  But there are
certain laws there that restrict freedom of speech - mostly to do
with insulting Turkey, its history and heroes, it seems.  Feelings
can run pretty hot on this stuff  - last month a journalist was shot
on the street for accusing Turkey of genocide in 1915.  Nobel
laureate novelist Orhan Pamuk was almost taken to trial for talking
about the same thing.

But YouTube, from what I gather, was shut down because some Greek
people called Ataturk gay.  That may seem pretty backward, but I
think it's interesting to think about how such a thing could easily
happen in our own backyard.  We don't have total freedom of speech in
the UK - for instance, last year Blair made it against the law to
incite religious hatred in the UK.  "Incitement to religious hatred"
might be open to interpretation.  And I can see how a modern European
country like the UK or France could end up fighting something like
this in the courts.  That's what worries me.  And I can see the
'happy slapping' law from France coming here, too.

Rupert

On 7 Mar 2007, at 17:18, Charles Hope wrote:

And then they're confused as to why they're finding difficulty
joining the EU. It's called the 20th Century, guys. Join it.