I am surprised that no one seems to have encountered this notice while
exploring videos on YouTube.  I sent it to myself as an email:

"Subject: YOU TUBE DISCOURAGES COMMENTS!!

You have recently posted several comments.
Please wait some time before posting another."

I haven't counted the number of comments or the number of comments in
a certazin period of time that brings up that notice.

I try to leave a rating and a comment on vlogs that show a lot of work
ow which contain something really unique.  Sometimes, I'll find a
remarkable vlog with only one or two tags that has not gotten the
number of views I feel it deserves---so, I'll suggest they add more
tage words to increasze their viewership.

There is a lot of "burn out" by vloggers.  I go through 'dry' periods
myself.  You knock yourself out to produce something exciting and you
get few views and limited feedback.

Yes, the level of "discussion" in most vlogs is primitive.  However, I
feel morally oblidged to encourage someone I feel has tried hard &
shown some skills but has otherwise not succeeded over-all.

When I've done this, I've frequently gotten very thankful responses
from the person making the vlog.  That's my idea of what this
video-blogging community thing is all about.  It is an
artist-to-artist or videographer-to-videographer personal thing.

I've been surprised at how unwilling some people (even videobloggers)
are to make comments.  Even in giving ratings, they are demanding and
stingey.

Most of the ratings I give are 5*'s.  Sometimes, I do this because the
vlog might have ten ratings with an average of only 3 stars which I
feel is unfairly low.

Only when a video is ugly and/or violent will I use the "hammer" of a
one-star rating.

The best way to build community and encourage people who show promise
is to take the time and trouble to give them a pat on the back.

Randolfe (Randy) Wicker
Hoboken, NJ

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Meiser"