As far as I know no site, none can completly stop "pirated" content
from being uploaded....

And again I am not defending the practice of allowing such content.
I personaly think a BILLION dollars is streching it a bit.  And I
respectfuly disagree and think this could have an impact on all
media, user and "produced" alike.  Big Media wants to control what
they have and TV, movies, video is still a huge part of it and how
and when and who controls that is very important to them.

but that's just me...

Heath
http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, sull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First of all, remember the name.. YOUTUBE.  remember the tagline...
> BROADCAST YOURSELF.
> Thats what their focus was supposed to be on.  The User Generated
Content.

> But they realized, or maybe knew all along, that a more lucrative
goal would
> be to become TV for the net.
> And as the inevitable happened... pirated shows being uploaded,
they were
> fine with it and the loads of traffic it brought them.
> It might not be the case now but at one point these pirated shows
were
> regularly featured on their front page.
>
> So.... if they really want to avoid the problem, they would need to
do
> things like curating/moderating (could be crowdsourced), banning
users,
> limiting upload sizes and relying more on webcam recordings etc...
But they
> dont want to only be the longtail king.  They want that juicy torso
content
> be they want that MSM head too.  Directors?  MSM deals?
>
> Fact is, they got lucky but they also took advantage of the sudden
boom of
> this online video revolution and enjoyed the ride to being the top
> trafficked video site.
>
> This has nothing to do with the open media revolution.  This is the
open
> pirate video revolution.  And it doesnt last forever.
>

> On 13 Mar 2007 13:16:20 -0700, Heath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   That's not entirely true, YT itself is not uploading the clips,
the
> > users are. Now I understand it's a fine line and I am not
defending
> > the practice of copyrighted clips on YT. But they do remove clips
once
> > they have been notified, that is a fact. Now does it stop people
from
> > uploading clips? Of course not. That is why they (big media) is
> > fighting so hard for DRM, which is another story for another day.
YT
> > may have it's fault but I have to say that they have been
extremely
> > proactive in trying to secure content and partner with studios.
> >
> > My guess is that they money Viacom wanted up front was so
outragous the
> > Google balked and now they are suing them. That is why I said it
will
> > only get worse. the sums that they are asking for effectly
guarentees
> > that companies like YT can not make a profit from advertising,
because
> > what they would have to charge in turn for said advertising no one
> > could afford.
> >
> > The whole attitude of the RIAA and these media companies right now
> > is, "OK, we realize that people are going to pirate our stuff so
> > make up for it, you need to give us X amount of dollars for the
> > privlage of showing our stuff AND Y sum to make up for those nasty
> > pirates". They are forceing these start ups to assume the risk,
for
> > their own failing.....it's silly.....but it will happen. And that
will
> > be bad for all of us.
> >
> > Look at how much you spend each month on re-occuring bills right
now,
> > that are not directly related to your living expenses...
> >
> > phone bill, cell bill, cable bill, a fee for this, a fee for
> > that....think about it.....
> >
> > Heath
> > http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com
> >
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%