I've tried a few different programs for stop motion, and they're all very
similar.  Honestly, as long as they have onion-skinning you're golden, and
every one I've used has that feature.  The biggest challenge with this stuff
is patience.

One thing that helped me out immensely was this article about basic
animation principles:
http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/handbook/9.htm

The biggest, most helpful tip for me was #5: Ease-In & Ease-Out.

Also alternately known as *Slow-in* and *Slow-out*, or *Acceleration* and *
> Deceleration*. Whatever you call it, it refers to the tendency things have
> to start and stop moving gradually. Example; a man is going to sprint (he
> got tired of playing ball I guess, or maybe he hit a home run). He doesn't
> just hit full speed instantly and then stop on a dime - unless he's the
> Roadrunner! He'll build up speed gradually and then slow down gradually at
> the end. The same applies to any object set in motion... a car, a bird, or
> even a bouncing ball.

Applied to stop motion, this means when something is moving from one place
to another, its first few movements should cover very short distances, grow
incrementally bigger, then incrementally smaller again as it reaches it's
stopping point, ending up with a nearly unnoticeable movement before it
completely stops.

Here's my latest attempt at this frustrating but incredibly fun art form
(may not be safe for work, depending on where you work):

*http://tinyurl.com/23bfur

*Good luck,
AQ

--