The way it's done in FCP is:
1) Place your video you want to be the small window in the timeline
2) Double click that clip so it goes into the viewer
2) Select the tab at the top of the viewer that says "Motion"
3) Inside "Basic Motion", Change the "Scale" so it's less than "100"
4) Also inside "Basic Motion", next to where it says "Center", there's
a circle with a "+" in it.  Click that, and move the cursor to the
canvas.  The cursor will turn into a "+" and when you press and hold
the mouse button, you'll be able to place your picture-in-picture
anywhere you want it.
5) Also in the "Motion" tab, you might want to add a Drop Shadow.
6) Place the clip you just edited on a higher video track than your
fullscreen video.

I assume it works exactly the same way in FCE.

--
Bill C.
http://TheLab.ReelSolid.TV