On 3/16/07, Bill Streeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Try VLC again. I don't have much experience with it on Linux, but
> I've used it on Windows quite a bit and it handles most MOV's and
> MP4's (including h264) well.

Thanks for the advice Bill. I absolutely LOVE VLC.. it is the best
video player hands down on Mac, Windows, and Linux in my opinion. The
problem is the VLC plugins. They're too new... not well developed. I
think they only started developing 3-6 months ago.

That said I AM going to check them out again, and I do expect them to
make rapid advances.

I believe in VLC so much so that I'm already on one mailing list and
looking for more info. Hopefully I can help in the same unofficial way
as the early days of fireant and blip. They could really use our
support...

AND most importantly this ISN'T just about linux. If the VLC plugins
get really good this could mean ALL firefox browsers on all platforms
one day might be able to include by default a set of video plugins
that handle ALL or nearly all media.   There might... might be some
legal issues with some of the codecs..  but hells bells... even if you
have to download the plugin seperately this could be a HUGE coup for
the media world because it would create like Firefox itself a platform
for the much more rapid evolving of open standards... whereas firefox
helped with CSS and other web based standards... a cross platform
plugin and media player system could extend standards and end-to-end
interoperability for media like ogg-orvis out ward through our media
world.

The browser is the new platform as many have noted.  Open source
multimedia packages, plugins, and codecs are the key to seriously
opening up this new world so one day a kid with a $10 video camera and
a $100 linux computer can actually post some decent photos and videos.
It's also the key to evolving beyond the current mess of video codec
incompatibilities, and not just in web browsers... but it'll extend
outward rapidly to affect future hardware as well.

Without open source innovation would come to a stand still in this
space... and we'll all be pedaling our wares on commercial enties
ideas of new and innovative platforms... like the blueray and HDDVD...
you know... if you can afford thousands of dollars in overhead and
dealing with completely anti-DIY, anti-consumer technology to begin
with.

Damn,

I'm rambling ferociously.

Sorry, it's late.

Thanks for the advice Bill. Rock over St. Louis. Rock on chicago.  (a
bastardized reference, but I'm sure you can tell me who it is anyway,
he's right up your alley. ;)

Peace,

-Mike
mefeedia.com