what are you using to edit?
movie maker?
premiere?

the way i know to make a QT from movie maker
is with quicktime pro
which is totally worth the 30$ i tell ya.

but you might be able to hack around it
if you make a DV-AVI from movie maker and then throw it in MPEG Streamclip
http://www.squared5.com/
and convert for the ipod or to .mov

hmmmm
i need to get XP running on my macbook