Don't give too much credit to that "YouTube Video".  It's 99% an
EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE TO PRODUCE television commercial that ran on-air
ages ago.

All they did to it was replace the soundtrack with Hillary Clinton
speaking and superimpose her image on the screen the people were
watching.  Oh.  They added some text also. *yawn*.

They're calling this a "mash-up", but it isn't.  You could do the same
thing with a static shot of Prince playing the halftime show @ this
year's Super Bowl.  Find a shot where nothing moves, and there's a
screen present in the background.  Use any editing system that allows
you to change the location, size, rotation and perspective of the
video you want to be on the screen to make that video cover exactly
the location of the screen in the background.

Et Voila... You're on the big screen @ the Super Bowl eating potato
chips while Prince is in the foreground singing and playing.

PS - Don't forget to remove the image just before the frame of the
explosion, so it looks like they blew up your actual video.

Technology's advanced a lot since the original commercial was made,
but at the time, hardware for broadcast quality editing and special
effects was VEEEERY expensive.  If you include building the set,
hiring the actors, shooting on film (high speed film to get smooth
slow motion), special effects explosions and lighting effects (make
the crowd light up as if a screen actually exploded), film to video
transfer, color timing, messenger fees... oh... it was a commercial,
so paying the Account Execs, Writers, Art Directors, Supervisors,
Producers, Editor(s), paying for the Edit Suite @ ~300/hr, Sushi for
lunch and whatever else I forgot about editing commercials..... It's
safe to say that that "YouTube Video" cost more to make than most
people's houses.

Literally.

That's not to say that we can't make good videos with the equipment
that's available to us, including iMovie and Windows Movie Maker.  The
point is that that particular video was made with minimal effort to
piggyback on an already successful MSM commercial... similar to MC
Hammer rapping over already established records like "Super Freak" and
having that record be a hit.

--
Bill C.
http://TheLab.ReelSolid.TV