The fact that this is being discussed as something that needs to be
done is a "horrible problem".  We have all of the laws that we need on
the books to protect bloggers and anyone else online.  This is a
slippery slope and once we concede that this is something we need to
implement, whether its O'Reilly's code or another, we have already
lost the battle.

Having 20-30 versions does not solve the problem either.  The internet
is our last hope for unfiltered truth-i fear that if we continue to
allow the debate to be framed in this way we stand to lose more than
the space on our blogs that will be occupied with ridiculous badges.

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Josh Wolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't know... I see this as being a horrible problem if the only code
> to be subscribed was O'Reily, but I still think that if there were
20-30
> different codes that people were crafting and anyone could elect to
> abide by any or none of them then this wouldn't be fascist in any way.
> It's certainly something to think about, but you're right -- the very
> suggestion of an authorized code of conduct is not a positive thing and
> anyway; especially when loosely connected to a for-profit corporation.
>
> Josh
>
> mattfeldman78 wrote:
> >
> > DO NOT LET THIS GUY GET AWAY WITH THIS!!!!
> >
> > this is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of in my life.
> > this o'reilly guy should be ashamed of himself. he is trying to kill
> > one of the last bastions of free speech. all of us should be weary of
> > such things-especially in times like this.
> >
> > and josh-i am surprised at your response. i'd think that you would be
> > able to spot subtle fascism when u see it. didn't u go to jail to
> > fight against people/ideas such as this?
> >
> > do u really want the future of the internet to look like this?
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTL3XMDwY0c
> > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTL3XMDwY0c>
> >
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>, Josh Wolf <inthecity@>
wrote:

> > > As far as I knew, no one was talking about imposing anything on
anyone.
> > > I thought this was an attempt to identify a common creed that many
> > > bloggers and videobloggers could adopt as they share in its mutual
> > > values of respect, understanding, etc. It seems to me that there
would
> > > be absolutely no reason for their to be one code either.
> > >
> > > Think of it like Creative Commons licensing; you could find a
code of
> > > ethics if you choose that fit your own ideological viewpoint and
elect
> > > to brand your site with it. Or, perhaps you can't find an
existing code
> > > and choose to craft your own. Or, as you personally may feel could
> > > decide not to adopt any formalized code at all. Adding one new means
> > for
> > > people to synchronize their own personal ethics as a media maker, or
> > > journalist, or whatever, may not be a bad idea. It is certainly a
> > better
> > > approach than the rather ominous suggestion put forward by Deborah
> > > Saunders stating:
> > >
> > > "The courts are going to end up deciding who journalists are,
because,
> > > unfortunately, this administration is really pushing the envelope in
> > > jailing journalists, and it won't end with the Bush
administration. It

http://punkcast.com