Oh I do agree that it could be a foot in the door. Its just really
unclear how far that sort of censorship will go on the internet in the
future, by any country.

Do you know specifically what current regulation would prevent
sexually suggestive or ass-rape jokes from being done by you if they
applied them to the net. Traditional regulation of such things usually
involves what time they are shown, and certain fixed limits on
specific sexual images/scenes. Here in the UK we have some ludicrously
outmoded broadcast laws that limit hardcore porn. But they dont stop
all sorts of programing that talks in a sexually explicit way, or
quite a lot of dark humor that is in very 'bad taste'.

So Im very keen to explore these issues, and what sort of censorship
we have at the moment, whether most of the stuff we'd ever dream of
doing has only traditionally been censored by editorial power, not
regulation. My opinion is that, from what Ive seen, neither of your
shows breaks laws, if it wasnt possible to show such stuff on TV in
the past then it would be due to editorial or commercial barriers to
entry. Meanwhile, things that 99% of people would surely want
legislated against, such as for example underage sex videos, are Im
quite sure already regulated and illegal. I bet laws against
advertising unapproved medical apparatus & other quackery practises
are also already covered no matter what medium the advertising is done
through?

So in relatively liberal societies what sort of censorship do we
actually think is a possible outcome of regulation down the road? For
me, things like Video On Demand destroy the simple model that results
in outrage about Janet Jacksons nipple at the superbowl - its a ll
about context, and on demand there is no sense that 'indecent stuff'
is being broadcast to 'vunerable youngsters'. Here in the UK the
satellite movie channels have just abandoned the idea of a watershed,
and now adult films can be shown at any time of the day, a new PIN
system is supposed to stop kids from seeing these things that they
shouldnt.

Cheers

Steve Elbows
--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Casey McKinnon"