Ahh I get you, the confusion is still about the term 'simple profile'.
Simple profile is, as I said before, an mpeg4 profile, not a h264 one.

Ive looked at the Apple specs, and I think you mean 'low complexity
baseline profile'...

"    *  H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 x 480, 30 frames per sec.,
Low-Complexity version of the Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to
160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    * H.264 video, up to 768 kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec.,
Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48
Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    * MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 x 480, 30 frames per sec.,
Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio
in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats"

So yeah, for 640x480 res stuff to work on the ipod, it either needs to
be either Low-Complexity baseline profile h264, or simple profile
mpeg4. I know how you can do simple profile in mpeg4 in quicktime, but
admit Im not sure how to activate low-complexity encoding using manual
h264 settings in quicktime. I'll see if I can find out, anybody know
if it can be done?

Cheers

Steve Elbows