The only VTRs for mini DV tape that I'm aware of are much more
expensive than consumer grade cameras.

Someone should come out with an inexpensive consumer-grade VTR. If
anyone knows of one, I would be very interested to hear about it as
well :)

I have a Canon mini DVD camcorder which takes a mini DV tape.  The