I think Waz might be on Windows, based on what patht he discussions
about alternative encoders went.

I think the reason for loading avi's into quicktime is because in this
instance quicktime is being used as an encoder, to turn the avi's into
mp4's.

That step can obviously be done straight from the video editing
package if quicktime export or alternative encoder is built into the
editing app, but a lot of times the quicktime export stuff on PC is
non-existant or trails well behind the options available in standalone
quicktime.

I have started experimenting with these ipod 640x480 h264 files, wasnt
sure that my ipod was updated but it seems it is. Im rather
inimpressed so far, Apples Ipod export 640x480 h264 isnt
deinterlacing, my source is PAL DV just like Waz. Its stupid of Apple
not to build deinterlace into their ipod export when higher
resolutions are used.

Not that the interlacing shows up on the ipod screen becaues they
screen is 320x240. Im not sure how much it will show up on ipod TV out
either, as televisions are used to handling interlaced images. But it
certainly means that notivalb interlace lines and other horrors will
be noticable for people playing back via computer, who arent used to
having to find a player to do deinterlacing during playback.

Thats the reason the avi's look ok Im Windows Media Player, I presume,
they are still interlaced but WMP will deinterlace during playback.
VLC also has options to do withis, as do some other players. As far as
I know the quicktime deinterlace options all relate to this too -
deinterlacing temporarily during playback, doesnt actually provide
deinterlacing of footage whilst re-encoding, which is the sort of
deinterlacing we really want to produce the best files.

Its also a really bad idea not to deal with interlacing at the
conversion stage. Your source DV files are 50 or nearly 60fps,
depending on PAL or NTSC, interlaced. As discussed, some players can
deinterlace such stuff during playback. But if you reencode that stuff
to a non-interlaced format (ie progressive 25fps 640x480 in this
case), but dont deinterlace the source footage during that process,
those horrible lines are encoded into the footage and its much less
likely that any player is going to be able to deinterlace that stuff
later.

Anyway Im going on again and not actually offering a solution, Im in
the middle of researching this stuff now and will hopefully find a
good Windows solution by the end of today,a nd will report back.

In fact I was gonna startup a site called mp4clinic ages ago when
these encoding issues were a ngihtmare, but then it all got a lot
easier. Now that higher resolutions are re-complicating matters, I
might set it up and make this subject the topic of the first guide.
Because nothign pains me more than people offering higher res formats
but losing loads of quality due to issues like interlacing.

Cheers

Steve Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Den 26.04.2007 kl. 16:51 skrev Patrick Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > Umm....One question.
> >
> > WHY are you using Quicktime to play AVI files?  Isn't that akin to
> > expecting Windows Media Player to play MOV files?
>
> Quicktime is the default media player on a Mac (also for AVI files).
I'm