you are trying to define a whole new line of media by using old media
standards, that to be honest, were in question to begin with.  That
is insane and shortsighted and shows no understanding at all of how
new media is working.

I don't understnad this conversation at all, I really don't.  There
are people on this list who basicly CREATED videoblogging, and you
are telling them how it should be defined?  Oh I guess it's Wikipedia
who is telling them, right?

It's an evolving process right now, vlogging is being defined and re-
defined as we speak, the article needs to grow with it...but that is
just my opinion...

Heath
http://batmangeek.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Delongchamp"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >--when you say "the need to cite content"....must the sources be
> > "traditional media"? or can they come from blogs?
>
> I agree that's it's very silly to say that the definition of a
video blog
> should to come from traditional media.  The idea is this:
Wikipedia has to
> set a standard so how low should they set it?
>
> Wikipedia says that articles should be based on reliable, published
sources
> because this involves a reliable publication process.  i.e. if we
lowered
> the bar to blogs, anyone could write anything and cite themselves
because
> there's no reliable publication process.  So are blogs excluded?
No.  Blogs
> can still be used but the main point should be backed up by a
reliable
> source.  That means if I want to write about how the definition is
under
> debate, I'll have to find a reliable source to show that this
debate is
> notable, and then i can use a blog (or other less reliable source)
as a
> another source to give more examples.
>
> > --also, from your user history it looks like the Vlog entry is the
> > only one you are working with? Maybe you could explain a bit
> > of your background so we know where you're coming from. You
> > are obviously very interested in defining the subject of
videoblogging.

> I contribute to a few articles.  The Video blog article being the
main one.
> And recently, due to this discussion, there's been a lot of
progress on it
> and i've been working with other editors to source the timeline and
> hopefully this momentum will keep going.  I used to have a vlog
with my
> roommate but then I bought a condo and we both got our own places.
> naturally got pretty busy after moving and never got back into it.
>
> >I guess the confusion comes from defining a topic that is still
very
> >new. You are bumping up against the passion/frustration in this
group
> >since many people here have helped shape what videoblogging is. You
> >can understand it's a little ironic that we need to quote a
> >traditional newspaper that may have to one of us....in order to
add to
> >the Vlog entry.
>
> >So i agree that everything must be verifiable...but lets define how
> >what these sources must be for a new field. Very often I find the
best
> >wikipedia articles of new topics simply record the controversy and
> >different ways of thinking. Can we at least document our differing
> >points of view?
>
> Well, personally I'm starting to lean towards Richard BFs
definition because
> videoblogs seem to be a genre now more than a website structure.
>
> But that's just my opinion. I agree that the definition is changing
and
> doesn't even necessarily apply to the one in the article but my
opinion
> doesn't belong in an encyclopedia.
>
> Ok, so reliable sources seem to say that vlogs are blogs with
video.  Let's
> take the dispute over the definition.  Though the dispute may seem
notable
> to you, me and other videobloggers in the group, Wikipedia has a
policy on
> what is considered notable. Until a reliable source talks about the
dispute,
> we have to assume that the general public doesn't know about it or
care
> about it and that the dispute is, consequently, unencyclopedic.
Until a
> reliable sources uses a different definition, the old definition is
all we
> can use in the encyclopedia article.
>
> I think that's the issue here.  People usually think that because
Wikipedia

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Pdelongchamp), it