I made the switch about a month ago myself.  I also upgraded to
Quicktime Pro.  I have noticed that saving my files on iMovie gives me
a much higher resolution, but also a huge file size.  With Quicktime
Pro I can compress the file size down without losing too much of the
resolution.  I still post my original files to blip.tv because they
have the capability to handle my large files, but other sites that
require 100 MB or less require that you compress your file.

In short the quality and the effects with iMovie are much better then
with movie maker, but be prepared to deal with large files and getting
creative with saving your files so that they can be uploaded everywhere.