Don't doubt it, dude.
These bastards are all about stripping out the simple things so that
you want to upgrade (instead of *having* to upgrade).  You probably
heard me bitching about this on Twitter, but another example of this
is the Mail program that replaces Outlook Express in Vista - it won't
remember more than the last 13 email addresses in the To: box, so
that standard feature of typing the first couple of letters of an
address and having it autocomplete is GONE - all in the name of
persuading people to upgrade to Outlook.  Call that a Pro
feature...?  I don't think so, but what are you gonna do?  Apple are
as mercenary as MS now, if not more.

What you could do is import your videos into iMovie at iSight or
MPEG4 setting - which will blow them up to 640x480 but at least not
destroy them.  Then output to 320x240 - and use a DV camera for FCE...

As for simple titles in FCE, there is a simple titles feature.  In
the viewer, click the menu at bottom right - you'll see all sorts of
title and slug options that you can configure in the Settings and
Motion tabs.  Also, there are 3rd party plugins for text from people
like Boris - I don't know if they work with FCE though.  I've never
used LiveType - it's just too much.

Rupert