I didnt see it, Im in the UK, but I just read this story about it
which I felt covered a lot of ground:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070724/youtube_debate_070724/20070724?hub=World

or

http://tinyurl.com/299ukk

Personally I feel that the flaw that theres still a gatekeeper, CNN,
was less relevant than the fact the politicians are still the same. It
may be different people asking the questions, but politicians are
still going to use their training to answer the questions in the way
they want, encompassing their talking points and well-practices
political stances on the issues raised, or even unrelated issues.

But its a start. Here in the UK we have a TV program called Question
Time, where the comments and questions from the audience are often a
lot more interesting than what the panel says.

The ability to create a new version of public meetings, using the
internet, is certainly of interest. This CNN thing wasnt that, but it
was some sort of step in the right direction I guess. A big challenge
will be to change the pace of these things, theres only so much
reality you can get out of short soundbites and quickly moving on to
the next question, I remain fascinated by whether peoples
concentration spans have been really been reduced over the decades or
whether there is a real appetite for longer and deeper discussions.

Cheers

Steve Elbows