Well, that's just the thing.  Most television is fiction.  Bad and
Predictable fiction to boot.

When the fad becomes "reality" tv, and as we move forward into LIVE
broadcasts like on Ustream and BlogTV, unless you're actually an
interesting person in real life and interesting stuff happens to you
and around you, your show's going to suck... unless people start
doctoring either the input or the output of the situation.

This is why there are credits for "producers" on shows that claim to
be "reality".  There are producers in charge of spinning the footage
in the edit so that it tells a story they think is compelling.  There
are producers in charge of telling people what to do in order to
create storylines.  If reality television was actually allowed to be a
depiction of what actually happened, people would be gambling with
their jobs. :D

I'm not saying this is a good thing.  I'm saying that people are now
getting CAUGHT for what they've always been doing.  I have a piece
about Uganda airing on the Hallmark channel on the 30th of this month.
 It's a 5-minute segment that we cut from 20 HOURS of footage! :O
Needless to say, I could have told 60 different stories with that
footage... all of them "honest" to a degree, but all of them SPIN,
definitely.  You have houses made out of mud and you have houses that
look like actual houses... which ones to show?  You have people
walking down the dirt road with baskets on their heads and no socks or
shoes on, you have people on bicycles and you have people in cars and
trucks... which ones to show?  It depends on what you want to say
about the area and the story you're trying to tell.

Still, there's a difference between needing to tell A VERSION of what
really happened to people, and MAKING STUFF UP and passing it off as
"reality".  The fakers deserve to get busted and embarrassed! :D

--
billcammack