Perhaps _the_ proven journalists' mic for hand-held interviews is the
Electrovoice RE-50 http://www.fullcompass.com/product/296440.html
with its very substantial pop filter. Like the SM58, its an
unbalanced dynamic mic. To get around the PIP powering on the
camcorder, one can use a Shure A96F transformer.
http://tinyurl.com/2awllg That's the smallest PIP solution I know of.

I much prefer carrying a stereo lavaliere pair  so I can record
stereo ambience, stereo effects and clip one or both on an interview
subject. The design is hands-free, allows the interviewee to be less
self-conscious and the resulting voice levels are often much more
even often easier to edit.  Sound Professionals
http://tinyurl.com/2mvfkc has several high quality stereo lavs in the
$50 range. These are made for PIP, no adapters are necessary.  Tell
Chris what your applications are.

re:

>Use a Beachtek in combination with the SM58 if you need a boost in signal:
>
><http://www.beachtek.com/prod.html>http://www.beachtek.com/prod.html
><<http://www.beachtek.com/dxa4.html>http://www.beachtek.com/dxa4.html>
>
>The Beachtek (with 48v powering) will also work with a shotgun mic that can
>be put on a boom pole, another, versatile option, particularly if you'll
>have your camera locked down on a tripod.
>
>Don't have time to do the research on a mic that would attach to the camera
>just now. Sorry. I prefer keeping the onboard mic close to the subject to
>using an external, aftermarket microphone. Perhaps someone else will chime
>in here with more information in that regard.

For mics that need phantom powering, I'd suggest the Rolls PB224 or
the Art Phantom II. Quite a bit cheaper than the Beachtek and they
have been shown to maintain quality of the quietest mics on the
quietest pro recorders.  With most camcorders, all you need is an XLR
-> mini stereo adapter plug.  Rob D.