Well, we've increased the size of the group two and a half times
overnight.

You're mostly right about the discussion part of the group. But
that's not the strength or point of having the Group on Youtube.

And the Posting Videos part of it can be used for good or spam.  But
that's not the point of it either.

The real strength of the Youtube group is as a place to find other
videobloggers on Youtube.  It's such a fragmented experience, looking
at individual videos or shows, and so outsiders often get the sense
that Youtube lacks the community & conversation that we have here, &
on our own blogs, on Twitter, etc

What I like about the group is that you can now go to
http://youtube.com/group/videoblogging
and just click the Members link to see all the Members.
Then you can quickly surf the list and connect with the people you want.

Here's how it was before: Last night, I had to trawl through about 50
people's profiles to find people I knew.  Each had just a few people
- different people - from the videoblogging community.  There wasn't
the massively overlapping friend networks that you'll find on
Facebook or Twitter.  So I Friended and Subscribed to as many people
as I could find and sent invitations to join the group to all of
them... and then even more people that I hadn't found joined and
friended me.

So we're getting lots of people in one place on YouTube, which will
help to make it a richer experience, I think.  I'd like to think that
this will help me find all sorts of new people (it has already,
actually) and introduce them to people I know from outside Youtube
and vice versa.  That'd be really cool.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv