Hi Everybody,
I've been a member of SAG and AFTRA for decades, and sometimes serve
on committees in preparing for negotiation.

It is my observation that this is a new area for unions, producers,
performers and distributors of media.  The business models are being
disrupted.

The union has always been there to protect performers from abusive
work conditions, to improve pay and conditions, and has also taken the
responsibility for insuring performers.

Regarding net video, the union doesn't know what to do yet.  There are
some plans in place that allow producers of net video to be brought in
under AFTRA rules that are not very expensive.  They would be similar
to lowbudget film deals.

Really, it is at what point does the video become professional, and is
distributed in a way that makes money.  You may always operate outside
the union, if you are an independent producer, but there may be
limitations in using union members or in distributing videos through
union signatories.  That is the same in preexisting video and film
formats.

There are more shared points that the union would have with producers
and distributors of content.  One in particular is piracy, and the
violation of copyright.  I have suggested that in the coming
negotiation with the networks and producers for the AFTRA contract,
that the performer and union retain their right to sue Youtube or
another entity that profited illegally from their work and image.
This would be an adjustment in language, because the current release
transfers copyright to the producer, and it is the producer's
responsibility to seek damages.

Without drilling down into more specifics, I would like to say that a
union can serve performers, creators and producers well.  It is the
loss of revenue from work that is the biggest threat to all.  Just ask
 people in the music industry.

Perhaps there will be an adaptation of the unions to include small
producers who perform and create, and the rights for all can be protected.

I don't think there is a way to bully anyone out of the sphere now.
Not as long as there are video cameras, and places to post videos.

What they can do is to help the performer and creator earn some
revenue from the further distribution of their work in digital
formats, and recover part of that revenue stream be it in paid
download, or on a site or format that includes advertising.

Ciao!