Just the usual good freebies like Squared 5 MPEG Streamclip, Virtual
Dub and QuickTime Pro.

I'd start with MPEG Streamclip cuz that baby can open a wide number of
programs. http://www.squared5.com

Next I'd try QuickTime Pro to see if it would accept the .avi files.

http://www.virtualdub.org can do it as well but MPEG Streamclip gives
you a lot of import/export options.

Hope this helps,

Gena
http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Kenya Allmond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A large number of the AVI files that my camera creates are
corrupted.  Some will not open at all while others open but have
flickering and static.  I don't know how it happened; it could be that
they were damaged when I copied them onto my hard drive but that
really doesn't matter at this point.  I've already tried to see if I
could recover them from the memory card but I had already overwritten
them.

> Does anyone know of a tool that I can use that will repair (or
salvage whatever can be salvaged from) the videos?  I did a Google
search but don't really want to install some random program.  I'd
rather get recommendations first.  I'm on XP but have access to Macs
as well.