Brook writes:
> Personally, I would still choose an HVX over the EX1 because of the
> long GOP issue (though I haven't used an EX1 yet so we'll see). But
> I'm not rushing out to buy either. I'm renting til the field stablizes
> or my production schedule gets heavier.

I'm a big fan of the HVX and will continue to be so, however, the
long GOP is not really that much of an issue in post if you capture
to a format like the Apple Intermediate Codec (for Final Cut Pro
users on a Mac, I'm sure there's an equivalent in Windowsland) that
is all I-frames.

Yes, with the Apple Intermediate Codec you lose the timecode
reference back to the original tapes, so it becomes like shooting
with P2, you have to back up your media, you can't rely on the tape
as back up (unless you're willing to do a painful manual conform).

I'm sure Panasonic will have a follow-up to the HVX to show at NAB
this year, they really have to on the heels of XDCAM EX, the HVX is
looking long in the tooth, but it's still my favorite camera under $10K.

David.

David Tames | http://Kino-Eye.com | 617 216 1096